Multiple award-winning Gospel music icon Marvin Sapp’s 11th solo album debuts #1 on the Billboard Gospel Albums chart, making it the fifth consecutive #1 album debut for the enduring preacher, songwriter and singer. The 10-track album continues Sapp’s signature “churchy but funky” musical style, with songs that refresh, encourage, inspire and uplift. Let’s get into a detailed track by track review of the album below…
1. Safe in You is the first track on the album and welcomes us into the album ‘Close’ with a jazzy intro. The song speaks of how God has shown his power and unfailing help all the time and of how he can do it again.
2. He Is declares the sovereignty of God and that words can’t describe enough how wonderful he is. This song has wonderful syncopations that will get good instrumentalists on their feels.
3. R. Kelly opens the 3rd track Listen and speaks into 17 seconds of this track with encouraging words. a good R&B track with amazing backup vocals encourages us to listen to the spirit in the midst of what you go through.
4.The song You and Me Together featuring Erica Campbell talks about how comforting God’s presence in the midst of tough situation. Erica Campbell was on the chorus while Izze Williams dropped a rap verse with some trap beat. For more than 10 years now, this is the only song i have known Marvin Sapp to future someone in for, and the only track of such on the album safe track 3 Listen with R.Kelly
5. Kind God produced by Kirk Franklin talks about God’s Kindness and infinite love in overcoming life’s hardship even in imperfections. His love on the cross saves us, redeems us and abides with us.
6. Face to Face is a thanksgiving song that carries the same message as Kind God, of how God’s love is overwhelming and has brought us Face to Face to him that we may worship Him
7. Carried me is a testimonial, of God’s grace, protection, upholding and upliftment against all odds.
8. All in Your Name is a worship song that speaks of the power in the name of Jesus and that all that we need is in that Name
9. Close is the song that doubles as the album title. It was live recorded and it’s the typical Marvin Sapp sound we’ve been all familiar with. The song teaches us that when there is confusion, problems and enemies, this shows we are close, extremely close to our destiny.
10. Light the way takes us back to the 80’s jam and Sapp proves to us on this track that he is truly Churchy but funky. The song focuses on Matthew 5:14-16, that as Christians we should let our light shine for all to see the Good work God has wrought in us.
Speaking on the chart topping album, Sapp says:
“It is a humbling experience when an album reaches #1. This music, these songs, are birthed out of my life and testimony. They are my lifeline to God. That God would use me to help provide a lifeline to so many others is remarkable. I am grateful to everyone who worked on this album, and to everyone who has purchased it. I hope it blesses you the way it continues to bless me.”
Please drop your comment on this review and on this album. Thank you!